Schools are breaking up in the next few weeks and the sky finally looks like it’s realised it’s supposed to be summer. Not all of us will be lucky enough to be packing our suitcases for a fortnight on the beach in the Costa Relaxo though, so we’ve come up with some cracking ideas for the perfect London staycation:
1. Knebworth – half an hour up the A1, the home of the Victorian novelist Edward Bulwer Lytton who came up with the now well-known phrase “the pen is mightier than the sword” – boasts a beautiful gothic mansion, gorgeous gardens, a dinosaur trail, and an impressive adventure playground. Something for the whole family.
2. Kew Gardens – the world’s most famous garden. Head for the treetop walk, delve into the rainforest and take part in a whole host of family friendly events.
3. Kenwood – what could be better on a summer’s day than a stroll on the heath followed by lunch at Kenwood – and make sure you book for the outdoor concert by Suede in August!
4. Avenue House – a hidden treasure right on our doorstep that so many locals don’t know about! A grade II listed building, lovely grounds, great outdoor coffee and snack kiosk, playground and an artisan food market every Saturday!
5. Outdoor films at Somerset House – if the stunning Thameside setting wasn’t enough for you, Somerset House is showing a series of films outdoors over a two week period in their 18th century courtyard on a giant screen with full surround sound! Lots of them are already sold out so hurry!
Who needs the beach? When the sun is shining, there’s nowhere like London!
Surely it goes without saying, that however you enjoy your staycation, top it off by catching up with friends or family over a refreshing frozen yogurt at Yogopink – and watch the day wind down on the Broadway.
Enjoy the sunshine!